NCE Planning Workshop
The next call for Canadian Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE – http://www.nce-rce.gc.ca/) is anticipated in spring 2017. This workshop was held to determine if there was sufficient interest to develop a Letter of Intent and Full Application for a new NCE that will be focused on Canada’s mountain places, environments, people, communities, economies and futures. Workshop participants helped to define the potential, organizational structure, priorities and possible partners for a Canadian Mountain Network NCE.
- Summarize steps taken during 2015 to establish a framework for preparing a NCE application focused on Canadian Mountains;
- Review existing and proposed policy and research initiatives relevant to a possible Canadian Mountain NCE;
- Establish the guiding principles for the Canadian Mountain NCE governance, participation, research priorities, partnerships, HQP training, aboriginal and community engagement and knowledge translation;
- Identify potential Mountain NCE research themes, research platforms and cross-cutting (interdisciplinary, transboundary, local to national, etc.) initiatives as well as end-users of new knowledge and a strategy to engage them in this planning process; and
- Confirm the outline of a work-plan for the next 6 months and identify activity leads and an organizational framework.