Canadian Mountain Network Mountain Festival: December 4 – 11, 2017
In honour of the United Nations’ International Mountain Day on December 11, the Canadian Mountain Network hosted the second annual Canadian Mountain Network Mountain Festival on 4-11 December 2017 at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta.
The mountain festival brings the research community together to celebrate the incredible richness and diversity of mountain cultures, ecosystems and landscapes in Canada and around the world.
With this festival, the Canadian Mountain Network joined other Canadian mountain communities in hosting events to mark the United Nations’ International Mountain Day.
To honor the United Nations’ 2017 theme for International Mountain Day, “Mountains Under Pressure: Climate, Hunger, and Migration”, the Mountain Festival will feature events that highlight the particular challenges that mountain communities face across the globe. Highlights from our event calendar included:
- Talk and Tour “Salt, Sword, and Crozier,” an exhibition in Peel library on December 4
- CPAWS “Love Your Headwaters Conversation Café” on December 5
- Keynote presentation on December 6
- Book Talk on “Searching for Mary Schäffer” on December 7
- Live streaming of International Mountain Day events from Canadian mountain towns
For more information about our events or if you want to get involved in 2018, please visit: www.internationalmountainday.ca